I’m the first to admit that I am horrible at keeping the proper amount of water in me at all times. Hence, why this is my first post back on the ol’ blog. Recently I had a little incident of me getting into a sauna with not enough water in my system. I don’t want to share all my klutzy secrets, but let’s just say the goose egg on my head after fainting was a constant reminder of what happens when you’re not hydrated. So why is water so important to our bodies? And what are some ways we can get better at getting the sufficient amount?
Water has some amazing benefits to your body, some that I hadn’t even thought about until researching! While reading, it explains that water can…
- Banish headaches/migraines
- Improve your mood (who isn’t all about that?!)
- Relieve fatigue (amen!)
- Boost energy levels
- Relieve constipation (phew!) – Water is the best natural laxative, it help keeps your bowels soft and regular
- Flush out toxins. – Remaining hydrated helps keep urinary tracts free of bacteria & you’ll be less likely of infections
- Improve digestion. – Plenty of H2O helps absorb & use the nutrients of healthy meals
- Promote weight loss and prevent kidney stones
- Boost immune systems
- Improve complexion. – Drinking plenty of water will keep your skin hydrated and soft
- Alleviate back pain
- Regulate body temperature
- Energizes muscles (Gonna pump you uuup!) – Cells that don’t maintain their appropriate balance of fluids and electrolytes can end up shriveling up resulting in muscle fatigue.
So how do we make it a habit to stay hydrated?
Here are 6 ways:
1. Drink a glass with each meal
2. Carry a water bottle with during the day (glass or metal!)
3. Keep water on your desk throughout the day
4. When you feel like a snack, try water first
5. Substitute for a soft drink or coffee ( I bribe myself…glass of water, then tea)
6. Track your water! There are some great ways of tracking your water now-a-days.
· If you own a Fitbit, the app on your phone can help you keep track.
· My Water Balance App
· WaterMinder App
· iHydrate App
· Plant Nanny (my favorite!!)
If you and your body do not get enough water, your good health will literally “dry up”, like the plant on Plant Nanny (seriously, download it). So how much water is the right amount? In my research there were several answers. One book said, YOUR WEIGHT DIVIDED BY 2= # OF OUNCES NEEDED. Another source stated that you need four 8 ounce glasses for every 1,000 calories you ingest. Since most people’s calories intakes should be 2,000 that would be eight 8 ounce glasses (64 oz) a day. When people say that water is boring or bland, I always give an unintentional sour look. Water has unlimited possibilities! Mix and match some fruit in a glass to replace your morning juice, add some leaves in to give a sweet chilled taste. Here’s just a few you can try…
- chia seeds
- raspberries/ blackberries
Did you know?
That your body is composed of about 60% of water and that being hydrated helps carry medicine to its action sites and helps flush away the break down products after the drug is done. (Means less time that unnatural junk is in you!)
This all this water quenching information I encourage you to start tracking your intake & see the differences…your body will thank you! Until next time, all.
999 Little-Known Natural Healing Foods and Proven Home Remedies & WebMd